Sprint 6 was the final sprint of the semester. We rounded up this sprint with an unfinished solution to issue APTS-254. Over the course of this sprint, we were feeling really good on our understanding of this issue. We required quite a bit of clarification from the Ampath team. After getting some really good clarification we found that the code we needed to work on was in an entire different directory from the one we had been previously working in. Once we finally found where we should be working, we began digging in deep into the issue. The first thing we noticed is that this issue was associated with their ETL server implementation. None of us on the team had previous understanding of what an ETL server was so we I did some digging. I found a few resources online (Here’s a good brief description) that I summarized for the group. The idea was fairly simple, except the way the Ampath team was using ETL was basically by skipping the Load portion and just passing the transformed data to the end user as a notification.
I had a really good understanding of the issue at this point and even began writing some code that I thought might work for this specific issue. Part of the major issue that stopped us from being able to test this solution was the fact that we were unable to test that our solutions actually worked before committing changes. In order to test our solutions we were going to need a running ETL server. In the end I was kind of bummed we weren’t able to resolve another issue before semester’s end. But I felt good in the things I learned from trying to resolve this issue.
I would love to continue working on these issues in the future but with all my personal projects and the fact that I will be starting a new job (as a Software Developer) on the 22nd, I don’t plan on having a lot of extra time. All in all I really enjoyed working on Angular 2 and seeing how a large scale project like Ampath was built.